Finding the right Financial Advisor for the job is so important! You need someone who is trustworthy, competent, and affordable.
Questions To Ask Yourself
Before you interview a financial advisor, you need to ask YOURSELF a few questions:
- What are you looking for in a financial advisor?
- What services do you need?
- What are you willing to pay for them?
- How often do you want communication (frequent in-person, occasional call, or email)?
Knowing your goals and communication style will help you to quickly determine which financial advisor is the right one for you.
Questions To Ask a Financial Advisor
- Are You a Fiduciary?
You want your financial advisor to say yes! Fiduciaries are financial advisors who are required to:
- Put the client’s interests first
- Disclose important information, including their fees
- Reveal any conflicts of interest
- How Do You Get Paid?
Financial advisors can make their money in several different ways:
- A fee based on a specific service
- A percentage of the managed assets
- A sales commission on investment products
To avoid any conflicts of interest, look for an advisor who is “fee-only.”
- What Services Do You Provide?
Different advisors may only support you in certain financial areas, such as:
- financial plans
- managing assets
- investment advice
- tax planning
Before you hire a financial advisor, know what services are offered and if there are any extra costs for additional services.
- What’s Your Philosophy on Investing?
A good financial advisor should fit your needs. You want someone whose investment philosophy matches yours and uses strategies that you understand. This will help you feel more secure through the ups and downs of the market.
- Who Are Your Typical Clients?
You want to work with a financial advisor who has experience working with people in your situation.
A good financial advisor should expect questions like these. They understand how important the relationship is between the advisor and the client and want a good fit for both parties which is why you should interview more than one.
Your financial advisor is an important person in your life. Take your time to consider all the candidates and choose the one who’s best for you.
If you are looking for a trusted partner to help you navigate financial decisions, we are here to help. Schedule a meeting with us today to see how we can help you with your own financial journey.
Financial Journey LLC is a registered investment advisor offering advisory services in the state of Virginia and in other jurisdictions where exempted. Information provided is for educational purposes only and not, in any way, to be considered investment or tax advice.